Dealing with Poisonings
Poison Control: 1-800-222-1222
Children between the ages of 9 months and 3 years of age are at the highest risk, as these are the ages of children most likely to put anything in their mouths.
If your child swallows a substance that is not food, call the Poison Center first (phone number above).
- Keep harmful products out of your child’s sight and reach. Having them up high in cabinets out of reach is safer than relying on latches and locks on lower cabinets and drawers.
- Never call medicine "candy."
- Buy medicine and household products in childproof packages.
- Always replace the safety caps immediately after use.
- Never leave alcohol within a child’s reach.
- Keep products in their containers. Never put inedible products in food or drink containers.
- Read labels with care before using any product.
- Teach children not to drink or eat anything unless it is given by an adult.
- Check your home often for old medications or substances and discard them.
- Discard substances used for old-fashioned treatments such as oil of wintergreen, boric acid, ammoniated mercury, oil of turpentine, and camphorated oil.
- Be alert for repeated poisonings. Children who swallow a poison are likely to try again within a year.